The Ottawa Hospital Breast Health Centre is located at the Civic Campus, and the current facility is too cramped to provide its patients with the service they deserve.
- The number of patients at The Breast Health Centre has increased by 40% since opening in 1997.
- Breast imaging and breast procedures, including biopsies, at The Ottawa Hospital have increased by 175%.
- This year alone, another 1,000 women in our region will be diagnosed with breast cancer.
The Breast Health Centre will be expanded and its services will be consolidated at the General Campus. The expanded centre will provide patients with a bright and pleasant environment that addresses all their breast health needs in one location and with greater efficiency.
- Increased diagnostic imaging capacity: Diagnostic imaging is a key tool in breast health. All diagnostic imaging will be consolidated at one site, which will accommodate the growth in cases of breast cancer in the population.
- Increased clinic capacity: The number of consultation and examination rooms will more than double, which will shorten delays in patients being seen to review pathology and plan medical treatment.
- Increased attention to patient needs: The new environment will reflect the Breast Health Centre's patient centred goals, accommodate the high volume of visits, and meet the differing needs of patients, from individuals attending a routine screening to patients dealing with breast cancer.
- Increased interprofessional collaboration: Interaction among physicians, nurses, psychosocial oncology staff, breast imaging technologists, and administrative staff is crucial to providing efficient, safe and high-quality breast care from referral to discharge.
- Increased educational capacity: The professionals of tomorrow are learning at the Breast Health Centre today. This leadership role in breast cancer education for patients and health-care providers is essential to continuing high-quality services.
How you can help
A fundraising campaign is now in place to expand and equip this new centre to better serve the women who are counting on us for timely, compassionate and comprehensive care. That’s why we’re raising $14 million to establish a larger, state-of-the-art Breast Health Centre at the General Campus of The Ottawa Hospital.
For more information, contact Jennifer Van Noort, Vice-President, Philanthropy and Leadership Giving, at 613-798-5555, ext. 19498, or firstname.lastname@example.org.