The most anticipated social event of the season brought together leaders from all corners of the Ottawa community to celebrate the best and brightest researchers in the nation’s capital. On Saturday, October 28, 2017, more than 600 guests dined on a five course, scrumptious all-Canadian meal that included; grilled fillet mignon of Alberta beef, with potato pavé with lobster and were dazzled by acrobatic artists who descended from the ceiling of the Westin Hotel. It was a night, which was the talk of the town.
Most importantly, The Ottawa Hospital Gala, presented by Nordion, recognized three researchers for their innovative accomplishments in their respective fields:
Marc-Olivier Deguise received the Worton Researcher in Training Award. Deguise was recognized for his outstanding work on spinal muscular atrophy.
Dr. Xiaohui Zha received the Chrétien Researcher of the Year Award. Dr. Zha was recognized for her breakthrough in understanding why our cells make more cholesterol and fat after a big meal.
Dr. Michael Schlossmacher received the Grimes Research Career Achievement Award. Dr. Schlossmacher was recognized for his pioneering research on Parkinson’s disease.
The Ottawa Hospital Gala also celebrated our community for its dedication to supporting local research. Tim Kluke, President and CEO of The Ottawa Hospital Foundation, acknowledged that support from not only residents, but also businesses, plays a key role in the success our researchers. “Thanks to our community’s commitment this year, The Ottawa Hospital Foundation transferred over $11.7 million directly to research. Our Tender Loving Research campaign, which is going into its final year, has raised $38.2 million, closing in on our goal of $50 million dollars.”
To read the full release, click here.
Our 2017 Gala Committee:
- WHITNEY FOX, COMMUNITY VOLUNTEER
- GREG KANE, DENTONS CANADA LLP
- NICHOLAS ALLAHAM, FIRST AVENUE ADVISORY - RAYMOND JAMES LTD
- HUGUES BOISVERT, HAZLOLAW - BUSINESS LAWYERS
- ROXANNE L. ANDERSON, MARCH ADVISORY INC.
- KATHERINE COTTON, COTTON PROFESSIONAL CORPORATION
- CINDY HARRISON, COMMUNICARE THERAPY
- RANDY MARUSYK, MBM INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW LLP
- MICHELINE MCELLIGOTT, BRICKLAND TIMBERLAY CORPORATION
- MICHAEL NAUFAL, BOYDEN GLOBAL EXECUTIVE SEARCH
- CHRIS VIVONE, EDELMAN CANADA
- KELLY GOULET, THE OTTAWA HOSPITAL FOUNDATION