As a member of our Marketing and Communications Team, the Proposal Writer is responsible for crafting unique, high-quality proposals to help solicit major philanthropic gifts from private donors. These large-scale personalized ‘asks’ are key to the Foundation’s fundraising success and require well-developed writing, editing, and communication skills. This position would provide an excellent opportunity for a journalism graduate to use the full breadth of their skillset, and for candidates with a background in persuasive writing/storytelling/long-form writing.
Our ideal candidate is an effective multi-tasker who can employ persuasive writing and story telling techniques to inspire community support for our new hospital campus. This is an exciting time to be part of The Ottawa Hospital Foundation.”— Cathy Gibson, Head of Proposals and Strategic Copywriting
Position Type: Full-time, permanent (37.5 hours per week)
Location: Ottawa, Ontario. Presently telecommuting, flexible arrangements available post-pandemic.
Language: English essential, French is considered an asset.
Benefits: Includes medical benefits (semi private hospital, extended health care, vision care, dental care); life insurance; employee and family assistance program; defined benefits pension.
The Ottawa Hospital is one of Canada’s top learning and research hospitals, where excellent care is inspired by research and driven by compassion. Our multi-campus hospital, affiliated with the University of Ottawa, attracts some of the most influential scientific minds from around the world. Our focus on learning and research leads to new techniques and discoveries that are adopted globally to improve patient care.
The Foundation’s (TOHF) purpose is to inspire and enable support for the highest quality health care and world-class research at The Ottawa Hospital. Backed by generous support from the community, we are committed to providing the world-class, compassionate care we would want for our loved ones.
At TOHF, we are proud to have what we believe to be the best, the brightest, and the most dedicated employee team in the entire country! We have worked hard to create a work environment that fosters collaboration, creativity, and work satisfaction for all our employees. Consistently, we are ranked as one of the highest performing foundations in Canada.
The Foundation is in the early stages of a transformative Capital Campaign that will be unprecedented in our city and we are currently recruiting the best candidates to our team to play critical roles in our success.
“I am proud to be leading The Ottawa Hospital Foundation as the healthcare landscape of our city is transformed with the new Civic development on Carling Avenue. We want the best staff to join our exceptional team as we prepare for this generational opportunity.”— Tim Kluke, President and CEO, The Ottawa Hospital Foundation
- Work with the Marketing and Fundraising teams to develop large-scale proposals to target individual and corporate donors for philanthropic investment. The incumbent will need to employ project management skills to ensure that proposals are completed for their milestone deadlines, and work under pressure to write/edit/develop numerous proposals simultaneously, each at different stages of development and with varying lead time (ranging from a few days to months).
- Translate complex scientific content into eminently readable and inspiring content.
- Interview researchers and medical staff, when necessary, to gather additional information that will be used in your proposals.
- Help identify visual elements that will be needed in the layout phase of the proposal, and work with our Proposals Researcher to gather information and imagery to support key messaging in each proposal.
- Identify leads, stories, and key messages that can be told to help build the hospital’s brand, without detailed or specific instructions in some cases.
- Build and maintain critical relationships with your colleagues, employees at The Ottawa Hospital/The Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, and the community at large.
New graduates who show incredible potential will be considered, however preference will be given to candidates with 2-5 years experience writing, conducting research, editing, and interviews.
Knowledge, skills, abilities:
- Excellent writing, proofreading, and editing skills.
- Strong story telling and communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to work as part of a team.
- Superior attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills.
- Adaptability, and the ability to thrive in a dynamic work environment with shifting priorities and time-sensitive deliverables.
- Excellent time management skill and the ability to demonstrate flexibility in juggling various tasks.
- Problem-solving skills, and the ability to work independently once a project scope and timeline has been created.
- Can-do attitude.
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite is required, experience with Adobe Acrobat DC/Pro would be an asset.
- Bilingualism is considered a strong asset.
The true benefit of working with The Ottawa Hospital Foundation comes from the ability to work on a team that is making a difference in our community. Everything we do has a direct impact on improving the lives of people in the Ottawa region every day. In addition to an exceptional and collaborative work environment, The Ottawa Hospital Foundation also offers an excellent compensation and benefits package, and values and supports ongoing professional development opportunities for all members of our team.
We believe that our people are our strength. Our success stems from our ability to attract and retain the best people who have a passion for our community’s health care system and want to make a difference in your community. If you are looking for a truly unique career opportunity and a chance to work for an established, successful organization, apply today.
How To Apply:
Please forward your resume and cover letter outlining your experience, salary expectations and why you think you would be a suitable candidate for this position to TOHFfirstname.lastname@example.org by Monday July 19, 2021. Your application should be submitted in PDF format, and should use the following title: Firstname_Lastname_Jobtitle.
The Ottawa Hospital Foundation values diversity and embraces an organizational culture that is inclusive and free of bias and discrimination. The Foundation is committed to a board and staff that is comprised of talented and dedicated individuals with a diverse mix of expertise, experience, skills and backgrounds.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance and advise them that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job contact information
The Ottawa Hospital Foundation
737 Parkdale Avenue, 1st Floor
Ottawa, ON, K1Y1J8
Fax: 613 761-5014