The Ottawa Hospital Foundation is seeking a dynamic and creative individual to lead the strategy, design, and implementation of donor recognition programs for the new Civic development and other existing campuses (Civic, General, Riverside). The Donor Recognition and Stewardship Officer (DRSO) will also lead in the planning, preparation, and execution of stewardship activities that demonstrate the impact of donor support. In doing so, the incumbent will acquire extensive knowledge of the new hospital campus.
This newly created position reports directly to our Vice-President Philanthropy Operations (Heather McLean) and offers a great opportunity for individuals with experience in donor recognition, fundraising/stewardship, and/or project management. Tech savviness is an asset, as the incumbent will need to identify future opportunities for technological integration and innovation as we look to create memorable and customized experiences for our donors.
“Saying ‘Thank you’ to donors and supporters isn’t just polite; it’s the key to building long-term relationships and support. And saying, ‘Thank You’ is only the beginning….”— Heather McLean, Vice-President Philanthropy Operations
Position Type: Full-time, permanent (37.5 hours per week)
Number of vacancies: 1
Location: Ottawa, Ontario. Predominantly telecommuting with flexible arrangements (likely a hybrid model) available when our office reintegrates later in 2022 (date TBD). Onsite work is conducted in non-clinical areas of The Ottawa Hospital’s Civic (1053 Carling Avenue) and General (501 Smyth Road) campuses, as well as the Irving Greenberg Family Cancer Centre (3045 Baseline Road).
COVID-19 Safety Protocol: The Ottawa Hospital Foundation complies with all health and safety regulations that are established by The Ottawa Hospital’s Occupational Health and Safety Department (masking, social distancing, daily health screenings etc.).
Language: English essential, French is considered an asset.
Benefits: Includes medical benefits (semi-private hospital, extended health care, vision care, dental care); life insurance; employee and family assistance program; defined benefits pension, and much more.
Years’ Experience: 3-7 years’ experience in philanthropy (essential) with a proven track record of donor recognition and stewardship strategizing. Preference will be given to candidates with a robust track record of using and embracing new technologies.
The Ottawa Hospital is one of Canada’s largest learning and research hospitals, with more than 1,100 beds, approximately 12,000 staff members and an annual budget of about $1.2 billion.
Our focus on learning and research helps us develop new and innovative ways to treat patients and improve care. As a multi-campus hospital affiliated with the University of Ottawa, we deliver specialized care to the Eastern Ontario region, but our techniques and research discoveries are adopted around the world. We engage the community at all levels to support our vision for better patient care. From the compassion of our people to the relentless pursuit of new discoveries, The Ottawa Hospital never stops seeking solutions to the most complex healthcare challenges.
The Foundation’s (TOHF) purpose is to inspire and enable support for the highest quality healthcare and world-class research at The Ottawa Hospital.
At TOHF, we are proud to have what we believe to be the best, the brightest, and the most dedicated employee team in the entire country! We have worked hard to create a work environment that fosters collaboration, creativity, and work satisfaction for all of our employees. Consistently, we are ranked as one of the highest-performing foundations in Canada.
“I am proud to be leading The Ottawa Hospital Foundation as the healthcare landscape of our city is transformed with the redevelopment of the Carling Avenue Campus. We want the best staff to join our exceptional team as we prepare for this generational opportunity.”— Tim Kluke, President and CEO, The Ottawa Hospital Foundation
- Lead the development and implementation of a Virtual Catalogue of naming recognition opportunities at the new Civic campus, to inspire community support for The Ottawa Hospital.
- Oversee the execution of the Donor Recognition matrix and fulfill all recognition agreements to ensure that donors are recognized for their meaningful gifts. This includes sourcing and coordinating the installation of donor recognition plaques, coordinating donor impact reports, and other recognition plans, as required.
- Identify, track, and coordinate all naming recognition opportunities at The Ottawa Hospital’s existing campuses (General, Civic, Riverside).
- Develop a strategy for existing and future digital recognition assets at The Ottawa Hospital, including updates to various donor walls.
- Partner with fundraisers to determine the appropriate naming recognition opportunities, in preparation for donor meetings.
- Work in partnership with the Marketing team to develop and execute donor recognition plans and strategies.
- Manage the Donor Recognition budget.
- Lead the execution of the Donor Experience Strategic Plan and Donor Stewardship Plan, to ensure meaningful and memorable interactions that donors value.
- Develop and execute a strategy for Transformational and Major Gift announcements.
- Conduct research and consult fundraisers to ensure that our Donor Experience Program continually exceeds market standards in providing exceptional donor experiences.
- Support the fundraisers in their efforts to deepen personalization of donor engagement, stewardship and communication.
- Provide superior customer service to all TOHF stakeholders (donors, prospects, volunteers, hospital partners etc.) through email, telephone, and occasionally in-person while working the reception area of our offices at the Civic Campus, General Campus, and the Irving Greenberg Family Cancer Centre, as workplace health and safety regulations permit.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to think strategically, plan and prioritize.
- Ability to work proactively to meet interim and milestone deadlines.
- Tech-savvy (knowledge of recognition platforms is required).
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written). Given the language skills of our community, bilingualism is considered an asset.
- Knowledge and experience with Raiser’s Edge is considered an asset.
- Team player; always maintains a positive attitude and a strong “get-the-job-done” work ethic.
- Post-secondary diploma/degree from a recognized community college, university or equivalent.
- Driver’s License and access to a vehicle will be a requirement of this role
- Willingness and ability to work outside of regular business hours are required
The true benefit of working with The Ottawa Hospital Foundation comes from the ability to work on a team that is making a difference in our community. Everything we do has a direct impact on improving the lives of people in the Ottawa region every day. In addition to an exceptional and collaborative work environment, The Ottawa Hospital Foundation also offers an excellent compensation and benefits package, and values and supports ongoing professional development opportunities for all members of our team.
We believe that our people are our strength. Our success stems from our ability to attract and retain the best people who have a passion for our community’s healthcare system and want to make a difference in your community. If you are looking for a truly unique career opportunity and a chance to work for an established, successful organization, apply today.
How to Apply
Please forward your resume and cover letter outlining your experience, salary expectations and why you think you would be a suitable candidate for this position to TOHFemail@example.com. Your application should be submitted in PDF format and should use the following title: Firstname_Lastname_Donor Recognition and Stewardship Officer. We will begin reviewing applications the week of January 17th, 2022
The Ottawa Hospital Foundation values diversity and embraces an organizational culture that is inclusive and free of bias and discrimination. The Foundation is committed to a board and staff that is comprised of talented and dedicated individuals with a diverse mix of expertise, experience, skills, and backgrounds.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance and advise them that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Contact Information
The Ottawa Hospital Foundation
737 Parkdale Avenue, 1st Floor Box 610
Ottawa, ON K1Y 1J8
(Fax) 613 761-5014