THE RIDE crosses the finish line
After deep consideration and review of the full event experience, THE RIDE, powered by Mattamy Homes, has come to its end. Everyone should feel proud of what THE RIDE has accomplished over ten years thanks to the passion and dedication of our riders, sponsors, and supporters. Over the past decade, THE RIDE has empowered The Ottawa Hospital to:
- Support a ground-breaking clinical trial showing that stem cell transplantation, coupled with strong chemotherapy, can halt MS in its tracks and allow repair. We’ve successfully treated more than 100 people across Canada suffering from highly active Multiple Sclerosis and other autoimmune diseases.
- Launch a national research network for cancer immunotherapy and biotherapeutics. This network has fueled ground-breaking research on CAR-T cells, cancer-fighting viruses, and much more.
- Launch the Rethinking Clinical Trials program to compare commonly-used treatments and approaches for cancer. More than 2,500 patients have participated in this innovative program and results are improving lives around the world.
- Find a way to safely prevent life-threatening blood clots in people with cancer. The results of this study, recently published in the New England Journal of Medicine, are now changing practice around the world.
- Expand our world-leading Ottawa Methods Centre — a one-stop-shop for helping researchers at The Ottawa Hospital design, conduct, and share the results of their research. The Centre has played a crucial role in hundreds of projects that are saving lives and improving health.
- Become one of the top hospitals in Canada for attracting competitive, peer-reviewed research funding, ranking #3 with the Canadian Institutes of Health Research.
“I want to thank all of our riders, volunteers and donors for going above and beyond to support research at The Ottawa Hospital.” – Dr. Duncan Stewart, Executive Vice President Research, The Ottawa Hospital
We want to take a moment to thank the three people who made this event a reality. Robert Merkley, Roger Greenberg and Claude Des Rosiers had a vision of creating an incredible cycling fundraiser for The Ottawa Hospital and their determination made it happen! We also want to recognize our corporate sponsors for making THE RIDE a tremendous success, in particular our title sponsor for the past six years, Mattamy Homes. Their commitment to healthy communities and the company’s love of cycling made for a natural partnership with THE RIDE. Thank you, Mattamy Homes!
“We remain committed to hosting a signature event that will engage our entire community. We saw that with THE RIDE, and I look forward to bringing a new fundraising experience to support our city’s most important health-care institution, The Ottawa Hospital.” – Tim Kluke, President and CEO, The Ottawa Hospital Foundation
This is not goodbye
When you look back on all that has been accomplished over the past ten years, just imagine what the future holds. Our wheels are already turning to bring you something new.
Stay tuned for something new in 2021! Thank you to everyone who made THE RIDE an amazing fundraising event. We couldn’t have done it without you!